Tonkatsu / Chicken katsu. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Chicken Katsu (チキンカツ) is chicken fillet breaded with flour, egg, and Japanese panko breadcrumbs, then deep-fried until golden brown. It's the chicken counterpart of Tonkatsu, pork cutlet.
Tonkatsu is a fried Japanese pork cutlet that's usually served with a sweet and savory spiced fruit sauce. Call me a geek, but I'm a bit obsessed with the history of food. Chicken Katsu – Japanese fried chicken cutlet with panko bread crumbs. You can have Tonkatsu / Chicken katsu using 6 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Tonkatsu / Chicken katsu
- You need of Chicken breast 500g (it can be other meat too).
- It’s 100 g of flour.
- Prepare 2-3 of eggs.
- It’s 1 cup of bread crumbs.
- Prepare of salt and pepper.
- You need of oil for deep frying.
From the Ubiquitous Tonkatsu (Pork Katsu) and Chicken Katsu to the More Decadent Gyukatsu (Beef Katsu), There's a Katsu for Everyone! Awesome Chicken Katsu is a crispy breaded chicken breast seasoned, dipped in Panko: Adds a lite bread topping over the chicken. Tonkatsu Sauce: You can purchase this at your local grocery store. Butterfly chicken breasts, cover with plastic, and flatten with a meat tenderizer (mallet).
Tonkatsu / Chicken katsu instructions
- Cut chicken into slices. Thicker or thinner, completely to your taste! But no more than 1/2 inch thick..
- Salt and pepper chicken and let it rest for 10 mins.
- Coat chicken with wheat flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.
- Deep fry for 2-3 min, if thin. 4-5 minutes if thick..
Katsu, or "cutlet" in Japanese, refers to meat that's been pounded thin before being cooked. Don, or donburi, identifies this as a bowl dish. Katsudon is hearty compared to other donburi. Chicken katsu is always served with tangy tonkatsu sauce—a thick, brown Japanese barbecue sauce made with Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and other seasonings. Make chicken katsu curry from scratch with japancentre.com's katsu curry recipe.